Beginning Sounds Listening Game. Helping kids hear and identify beginning sounds especially digraphs. In particular SH and CH digraphs. This game can help kids identify beginning sounds and more complicated digraphs – ESL students will definitely benefit from this activity as well as they often find phonics and pronunciation the hardest part of the English language.
Beginning Sounds Listening Game – sort!
Beginning Sounds Listening Game. To prepare this game, you will need:
- sorting mats
- picture cards
- recording sheet
To prep the game:
- print of the mats and the cards.
- Laminate them for durability.
- get the students to sound out each picture and then sort it into the correct mat.
- The students then can sort the words onto the pictures for added practice.
- the students can then write the words onto the recording sheets.
Help the student while sounding out the cards! You may find that ESL students will find it hard to distinguish between the CH and SH sounds.
Here is an example of how the students can then read the words and match them to the pictures!
There are two recording pages s the kids can write the words accordingly:
Ready to start working on digraph sorting with these fun hero themed mats?