These 10 Must Have Supplies for Teaching Sight Words will make your daily activities and plans a breeze! Kids will love the hands-on activities and the materials are so versatile you can use them to teach multiple skills.
10 Must Have Supplies for Teaching Sight Words
Need a quick and easy way to incorporate teaching sight words in your classroom? These materials are absolute must-haves in any learning environment – not just in classrooms. They are versatile, easy to prepare and use! Perfect for any last-minute lesson prep and planning.
Hi, I'm Yara.
Want to know how you can incorporate fine motor skills in your classroom?
I, along with many of my colleagues have used,tried and tested these materials and they in my opinion are the best ones for when you want to incorporate more hands-on materials to practice sight words.
The picture of each is listed below along with ideas on possible uses!
- ABC Magnets will make a great addition to your centers. Use these when you want your students to practice reading, spelling and writing their sight words. Better yet, add a magnetic whiteboard and have them build their sight words using these magnetic alphabet letters.
2. Tactile Sandpaper will be so important for those fine motor and handwriting skills. Use these with ELL kids or intervention students who need the extra hands-on practice. Get doubles of these cards and have the kids build the sight word and then trace over each letter as they write it on the cards. You could also use these cards for hands-on alphabet matching activities.
3. Magnetic Art Board will be an instant hit with your kids as you get them to write their sight words on the whiteboard or build their sight words using magnetic letters (above).
4. Wood Letter Tiles will make a great companion to any sight word cards or posters. Have the kids read the sight word in context
5. Magnetic Alphabet Flashcards. These can be used in countless ways in the classroom. You can use them in games like memory games, scavenger hunts and more. You can also use these with your magnetic boards. Play a magnetic letters hunt and matching game on the whiteboard.
6. Play Dough Bundle with Cutters. These are incredibly versatile and easy to use! Print sight word cards or posters and have the kids build the sight words using play dough. Better yet, grab these FREE sight word play doh mats and use the play dough with them!
7. Play Dough Alphabet Dough Cutters. These are so EASY to use. Use them with alphabet building activities, or get the kids to build their sight words by cutting the letters they need with play dough and build it that way!
8. Sight Word Readers Parent Set. I personally love this set of sight word readers, it’s a great way to incorporate reading and identifying sight words into your daily reading circle time. These are leveled and perfect for ESL students too!
9. Sight Word Swat a Sight Word Game. This activity bundle is perfect for kids who have short attention spans and feel like they need to burn energy while learning. The swatting game can also be adapted to alphabet matching cards and number sense activities too!
10. Sight Word Build a Pizza Set. This is a great game to incorporate learning Dolch Sight Words. You can use the pieces in this game with the play dough so kids can build their sight words after they build their pizzas.
More Sight Word Activities You Will Love
Free Sight word worksheets get your students to recognise, read, and write tricky words. Use these free sight word worksheets to build vocabulary too!
Sight Word Worksheets Created by Sea of Knowledge
Free Sight Word Differentiation Activities. Grab these from the post below!
Fantastic and Free Sight Word Worksheets! Don’t miss out on these fun and hands-on sight word activities. This page will be regularly updated with more an MORE sight word activities!
10 Fun & Easy Activities to Teach Sight Words for ESL Students
Fun and Hands-on Sight Word Cut and Paste Worksheets Burgers Freebie