Preschool kids will LOVE these solar system worksheets for preschool. You can either use them as coloring pages OR you could create a craft with the printable using paper plates.
Learn about the planets in our solar system with this fun printable activity craft, perfect for preschoolers and young children!
>> Pair this activity with our space themed fine motor printable activities for preschool. <<
Solar System Worksheets PDF for Kids
This FREE Solar System exercise is ideal for teaching children about planets and the solar system and how it works.
I recommend laminating the mats if you want to use them in binder books, but if you’re using them as a craft, then cutting out the planets and sticking them together with velcro dots onto a paper plate will work wonders!
Check out the video on how to make this super simple craft:
You will need some sturdy paper plates for this craft, I used this bulk pack of paper plates and they last me a full year!
Don’t forget to check out some awesome whale crafts and printable at this post so that kids can learn all about sea animals too.
More printable crafts for preschoolers here:
- Kindness Art Activities for Preschool Fill a Bucket Craft
- 7 Easy Owl Crafts for Teachers, It’s like Starbucks except for Preschoolers!
- 12 Bee Crafts and a Fun Free Printable
Solar System Favorite Amazon Picks:
Solar System Facts for Kids
Here are some good talking points to mention that will help them remember facts about each planet, these points were paraphrased from getlitt.co.
- The Sun is a star – it gives off light and heat and is made up of hot gas.
- Not everything in the Solar System orbits the Sun. The Moon, for example, revolves around the Earth.
- There are 8 planets that orbit the Sun.
- The order of the planets in the Solar System are – Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.
- The biggest planet is Jupiter and the smallest is Mercury
- The Earth rotates as it orbits the Sun. One day = One complete rotation. It takes 365 rotations or days to complete a whole year.
- Our Galaxy is called the Milky Way and the Sun is one of the hundreds of billions of stars in the galaxy.
- Saturn’s ring particles are made almost entirely of water ice particles.
- The Solar System formed around 4.6 billion years ago.
- As of 2008, Pluto, Ceres, Eris, Makemake and Haumea are known as dwarf planets
How to use the solar system worksheets PDF / craft for preschool
Grab a paper plate, then discuss the points above with your students / kids.
Have them cut and glue their planets onto the paper plate. You could also use the black and white page to have the kids coloring and decorating their own planets and paper plate / solar system.
I absolutely LOVE how @hooray_english_at_home (on Instagram) used this craft. They basically created a universe craft with the printable template:
Planets Printable Activity Craft
Ready to download this Solar System Worksheets Preschool craft?
>> Input your details below to get the file sent to you directly by email. <<
Graphics Purchased and used with permission
I offer free printables to give to my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks to you!